Translate

Saturday 23 March 2013

CHINUA ACHEBE: Goodbye, The Iroko

For those of us who knew Chinua Achebe or have been touched by his great works, the news of his death came as a rude shock, even a tragedy. This must be why many refused to accept the story when it first broke this morning. A condolence register is hereby established for all, who cannot otherwise, to express their grief and pay condolences to his lovely wife, Professor Christie Achebe, his children and the rest of his family.

Chinua Achebe was for me a mentor and a source of inspiration even as a kid. I remember the griping experience the story of Okonkwo and Ikemefuna (the child that called him father) was for me as a 12-year old. It was therefore a profound experience for me when about in 2001, Professor Achebe invited me to become his lawyer and to establish the Achebe Foundation in the State of New York. That became the beginning of what was to be many years of richly rewarding personal and professional encounters with Achebe, the man I simply called “The Iroko”, and some members of his family, particularly his kind wife. I regretted that my many recent activities and movements had prevented me from visiting him since the past two years.

He was always kind, thoughtful, principled, deliberate and inspirational. As a man of principle he taught us not to accept awards from corrupt governments and leaders who did not care about the common man. His sense of humor had no parallel. His humanity had no bounds. He was a great man, yet humble and caring for others who are less privileged. I am filled with grief at the news of his passing, but I shall tamper that feeling with the fact that I can also celebrate the great life of a man who gave the world so much but asked for no personal gain in return.

To attest to Achebe’s universality and greatness, everyone of my friends that I spoke to today told of how his or her life was transformed in some way by the works of Achebe. Each person remembered where he or she was when he or she first read Things Fall Apart. Achebe was a personification of the history of his race and humanity as a whole. Looking back at the events of the past six months, it is clear that Achebe knew he was going to say goodbye to us so soon. Therefore, he gave us something of a parting gift in his profoundly provocative and challenging masterpiece, “There Was a Country.” No other writer is readily known to have departed this world so peacefully barely few months of publishing such work. So, in his departure, he showed that style and elegance that are uniquely Achebe’s.

Fare thee well, the great Iroko. We shall never forget you, and thank you for all you did for us.

Emeka Ugwuonye, Esquire

No comments:

Post a Comment