Translate

Friday 24 May 2013

LETTER TO ROZ BEN-OKAGBUE

ROZ BEN-OKAGBUE IS VENGEFUL AND A LIAR:

My attention has been drawn to this extremely fallacious publication and account by Ms. Roz Ben-Okague on her Facebook Wall of May 24, 2013. In that publication, Roz falsely depicted me as a fraudster and a criminal.

I have repeatedly and in the appropriate places refuted the exaggerations and false accounts about the progress of the cases I have pending against the Embassy of Nigeria and Nigerian Government in the United States. There was never a criminal proceeding against me in the United States of America. The dispute between me and the Embassy of Nigeria was a civil matter, in particular, a fee dispute between attorney and client. It was just a matter of determining who owes whom.

Also, I have explained the circumstances of the Default Judgment entered, first against my former company and subsequently against me. All those judgments occurred while and because I was in Nigeria, engaged here and unavailable to attend to the case in Washington. And I have taken appropriate steps to either vacate the default judgment or appeal against it. The cases are all pending.

That Ms. Roz Ben-Okagbue would sneak up on me and attack me so viciously and so falsely did not come entirely as a surprise. A few months ago, the same Roz had written to me personally assuring me not only of her sympathies, but also of her understanding that I was a “victim of online lynching spearheaded by Sahara Reporters and Ambassador Ade-Adefuye”. She then extended to me what appeared to be a strong hand of friendship and attention.

Unknown to me, Roz had expected from me far more than a mere friendship. She wanted me to reciprocate attention and devotion to her and her causes. Of course, due to the exigencies of my operations and busy schedules, I never had more than some general goodwill toward Roz. During this time Roz was an ardent follower of my writings on Facebook, as a matter of both intellectual interest and personal interest in me, evidently.

In one of the publications I made on Facebook on April 2, 2013, there was an intense public interest and, I dare to say, admiration from several friends and supporters. One of the ladies who commented on my posting was so full of praises for me that she surprisingly, though jokingly, offered to give me a kiss as a token of her appreciation of my thoughts and writings. While this gesture would seem fairly to be a joke, Roz, who already was reading these things, took it to heart. In what was a most brazen misdirected aggression, Roz attacked my views so blatantly and publicly and called the lady and other supporters of mine misguided and ignorant youth. I engaged her, but with only a mild intellectual counter offensive. Surprisingly to me, Roz became very belligerent and hostile. It got to a point where she immediately blocked me from being able to comment in response to her comments on me. She also removed herself from the group where we had both belonged. She also threatened to sue me for defamation if I were to criticize her.

Naturally, I am a person respectful to women. There was no need to further engage Ms. Roz Ben-Okagbue in an argument. I let her be and hoped she would let me be. But I was mistaken. She has all since then nursed extraordinary bitterness and grudge toward me. She felt snubbed and unappreciated. She saw the recent mischaracterization of me online, which she herself had admitted in a previous writing to be false, and she chose to use it to depict me as a fraudster and a criminal.

I have taken a lot of nonsense from detractors without minding them. But in the case of Roz Ben-Okagbue, given the peculiar circumstances, I am hereby giving her 24 hours to retract her publication and apologize to me. Otherwise, I will file a lawsuit against her as early as Monday of next week, precisely the next working day. 

EMEKA UGWUONYE, ESQUIRE

No comments:

Post a Comment